Mission Statement, Belief Statements and Profile of Graduates
Think for yourself. Respect others. Improve the world.
The mission of The Wheatley School is to provide a safe and nurturing environment of intellectual development, personal growth and social responsibility.
Our intimate learning environment fosters life-long personal relationships and an understanding of the value of diversity and respect for all.
We are guided by the idea that education is a continual journey, not a destination.
1. We believe that education is academic, yet must also include values, personal reflection, interpersonal relations, connections to the world, and social responsibility.
2. We value a curriculum that emphasizes the interdisciplinary nature of all education by making connections across disciplines and to the world beyond the classroom. Effective teaching and authentic learning are measured by genuine problem-solving, critical thinking skills, engagement in learning, ability to collaborate, and individualized teaching and learning styles, not just by standardized tests.
3. We value a community in which every individual feels respected, safe, supported and free. Such a community encourages individuals to take risks, pursue their interests, achieve their potential and respect diversity. Teachers should serve as role models for participation in a diverse world. Education accepts diversity without prejudice.
4. We value a supportive atmosphere that responds to every student's needs. We believe that when you treat others with respect they respond with respect. When you give others freedom they respond with responsibility. When you treat them with trust they respond honestly. We value honesty in all areas of endeavor, especially academics.
5. We value a school culture that encourages all its members to become active citizens of a global society. A good school fosters values which enable people to get along well and respect each individual's unique characteristics. These values are fostered for all members of the community through co-curricular as well as curricular activities.
Profile of Graduates
It is our goal that students who graduate from The Wheatley School will strive to live their lives with the following principles:
Habits of Mind:
Habits of Responsibility:
Habits of Character: